Better care for local people: The merger of our trust with Yeovil District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
We are working with Yeovil District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (YDH) to bring our two trusts together to create a new, single organisation which will be responsible for running Yeovil District Hospital and Musgrove Park Hospital, the community hospitals in Somerset, all community, mental health and learning disability services in the county and a quarter of GP practices in Somerset.
By joining together, we will be able provide better mental and physical health services for the population we serve, helping people to enjoy healthier lives with improved access to the specialist care and treatment they need, when they need it.
Some of the aims of our merger are to:
- Develop health and care services that meet the changing needs of our population.
- Provide better care for the population with everyone enjoying access to the same high quality care and support no matter where they live in the county.
- Build a more resilient, well supported workforce which can provide the care they aspire to.
- Health and care services that work together more effectively to proactively look after the health and wellbeing of the whole person and help them stay well.
- Make best use of our financial resources to deliver the most benefit for the population.
Progress so far
In October and November 2022 we submitted our more detailed business case, patient benefits case, and accompanying documents to NHSE for review. The documents set out why we are merging, the difference that merging our trusts will make to patients, how we will implement the vision for our merged organisation through delivery of the clinical strategy and integration of clinical services and corporate functions, and how our merger supports financial resilience. Teams from across both our organisations have been working on our plans to bring our two trusts together in order to provide better care for the population of Somerset and beyond, with everyone in our county enjoying access to the same high quality care and support no matter where they live in Somerset.
Our regulator NHSE is reviewing our plans to merge, and we look forward to receiving their feedback.
Read more about the approval of the business case by our NHS trust boards.