What is a foundation trust?
Foundation trusts are NHS organisations accountable to the public through their membership.
As a foundation trust we are able to make better and more flexible use of our money, helping to plan for future investments, supporting developments and improving local services.
We value the involvement of people who use our services, their friends and relatives, carers and the local community. We recognise that to create good working partnerships we need your help and involvement to help us to learn from your experiences and develop our services to best support those who use them.
Private Members Area
Click here to access the private members area. Please note that this area is for Foundation Trust Members only. If you are not a member already you can access the membership application form here.
Why become a member?
You can make a real difference to the way services are developed and delivered in Somerset by becoming a member. As a member you will:
- show your support for your local NHS services
- develop stronger ties with patients, carers, local people and our staff
- be consulted on plans and to become more involved in developing services
- stand for election as a local governor in the constituency you live in. To find out more about what is involved in being a governor click here
- vote on who you would like to become your local governor
- keep up-to-date with what’s going on around the organisation by receiving our regular newsletter
- participate in occasional events for members
- have access to NHS Discounts
Our membership is made up of local people with an interest in the Trust (including patients and carers). It also includes our staff and representatives from partner organisations in the local area.
We are keen that our membership is representative of the wide range of people we care for, who work for us, and who live in the communities we serve.
Membership is FREE! How much you choose to take part as a member is up to you. You may just want to receive our newsletter and vote every three years for someone to represent you on our Council of Governors, or you may want to take a more active and involved role by attending events and meetings, or maybe stand as a governor yourself. Whichever level of participation you choose gives you a bigger say in what we do, and really makes your views count.
You can access the membership application form here.
We will send out quarterly a Members’ Briefing, keeping members up-to-date with the latest news and developments across the Trust.
You can view recent Members’ Briefings below: