Industrial action update: 14-17 June 2023
Planned industrial action has been announced by the British Medical Association (BMA) involving junior doctors at a number of NHS trusts, including Somerset NHS Foundation Trust.
The action will take place from 7am on Wednesday 14 June, to 7am on Saturday 17 June.
The industrial action is a national dispute between the Government and Trades Unions about terms and conditions.
Patient safety is our top priority, and we are committed to maintaining patient care as much as possible, and providing the most essential services on these days.
Advice for patients
Appointments and services
If you have an appointment, please attend as planned. Please don’t call to check if your appointment is going ahead. If your appointment is affected by industrial action, we will contact you directly.
We continue to welcome family members and loved ones to visit patients at our hospitals, please speak to your ward to arrange visits as usual.
Which service should I access?
Regardless of any strike action taking place, it is really important that patients who need urgent medical care continue to come forward as normal, especially in emergency and life-threatening cases - when someone is seriously ill or injured, or their life is at risk.
- If you have a life-threatening emergency, our ED is open 24 hours a day
- If you have a minor illness or minor injury, local GP surgeries, pharmacies and MIUs are open
- If you have an urgent medical problem that isn’t a serious or life-threatening emergency and aren’t sure what to do, contact 111 first by phone or online at 111.nhs.uk – they will provide immediate medical advice and direct you to the best care for your needs
- Self-care: Visit NHS 111 online for self-care advice for things like grazed knees, coughs and colds
- Pharmacy: Visit your local pharmacy for headaches, upset stomachs, aches and pains
- Minor injury unit: Attend your local minor injuries unit for urgent not life-threatening conditions and injuries such as sprains, fractures and burns. For the latest information on opening hours and services, visit the MIU pages.
More information about healthcare services across Somerset is available on the NHS Somerset website.
Please use services wisely during industrial action and take simple steps to help ensure care is available to patients who need it most. This includes using 111 online as the first port of call for health needs and continuing to only use 999 if it is a life-threatening emergency.
Visit the NHS England website for more information about the strikes, including answers to Frequently Asked Questions.