We provide an excellent Ophthalmology service for residents of Taunton and the wider catchment areas.
We run clinics at various local departments including ;
- Bridgwater Community Hospital
- Minehead Hospital
- Chard Community Hospital
- Harrison House Diagnostic centre
- Burnham On Sea Hospital
There are many different staff roles within the Eye Department .
- Consultants – A consultant ophthalmologist is a medically trained doctor commonly acts as both physician and surgeon .
- Speciality doctors and Associate Specialists – These doctors have trained and gained experience in Ophthalmology but have not gone on to be consultants.
- ST Doctors – Are qualified doctors in clinical training . They have completed a medical degree and foundation training and have anywhere up to eight years of experience working as a hospital doctor .
- Specialist Nurse / Practitioner – These members of the team work as part of the wider team to care and treat patients with a wide range of eye diseases or injuries .
- Staff Nurses – work in all areas of the Eye Department and OTS.
- Ophthalmic Technician – Carry out a wide range of tests and procedures.
Are Allied Health Professionals who are trained to investigate, diagnose and treat defects in the eye movements and problems with how the eyes work together .
Exams eyes, gives advice on visual problems , prescribes glasses or contact lenses . Enhanced roles in Glaucoma , cataract , corneal and other chronic conditions .
Are part of the multidisciplinary operating theatre team, providing a high standard of patient – focused care during anaesthesia , surgery and recovery.
The role of the ECLO is to signpost patients recently diagnosed with sight loss to emotional and practical support . They work closely with the medical and nursing team in the Eye Department and local providers such as social services .