Our infection prevention and control team is a dedicated department which includes an executive director of infection prevention and control, infection control doctors, and specialist infection control nurses. The team’s work includes:
- Acting as a source of specialist advice; advising and supporting doctors, nurses, and other healthcare workers on best practice
- Developing infection control policies in line with national guidance
- Monitoring the incidence of infections in the trust
- Regular review of infection control practice in the trust
- Managing outbreaks of infection
- Delivering a programme of staff education
- Advising on infection control issues relating to new buildings or refurbishment works.
Every ward and department in our hospital has a nursing member of staff who acts as a link practitioner for infection control in their respective hospital area.