Your Maternity Team

While you’re pregnant, you’ll normally see a small number of healthcare professionals. They want to make you feel as comfortable as possible while you’re pregnant and when you have your baby.

At each appointment, the professionals you see should tell you their name and explain what they do. If they forget, ask them. You can make a note of who you’ve seen and what they’ve said in your ‘My Maternity Journey’ Personal Care and Support Plan in case you need to discuss something later on.

This page lists the people you’re most likely to meet. Some may have students with them – you’ll be asked if you mind the students being present.

A midwife is specially trained to care for you and your baby throughout pregnancy, birth and after the birth. Midwives work both in hospitals and in the community. The name of the midwife responsible for your care will be in your pregnancy notes.
A midwife will look after you during birth, this can be at home, a birth centre or in the hospital. If any complications develop during your pregnancy or birth, or you have existing health conditions, you may see a doctor as well as being cared for by your midwife.
After the birth, you and your baby will be cared for by midwives and maternity support workers.


A maternity support worker (MSW) supports midwives with providing your care during pregnancy, birth and after birth. They work under the supervision of a registered midwife and look after you by:
• Doing your observations (temperature, pulse, blood pressure, breathing rate, etc)
• Supporting you with your care, your baby’s care and feeding your baby
• Housekeeping duties, updating your notes and admin tasks to ensure the smooth running of the Midwifery team.


An obstetrician is a doctor who specialises in care during pregnancy, birth and after birth. Your midwife or GP will refer you to an obstetrician if they have any concerns about your pregnancy – for example, you had a previous complication in pregnancy or have a long-term illness.
You can ask to see an obstetrician if you have any concerns you want to discuss.


An anaesthetist is a doctor who specialises in providing pain relief. If you decide to have an epidural for pain relief during birth, it’ll be given by an anaesthetist.
If you have a caesarean birth, an anaesthetist will provide the appropriate anaesthesia.
They’ll also be present if you require pain relief for any intervention – for example, with forceps or a vacuum device that helps deliver the baby’s head (ventouse).


A sonographer is trained to carry out ultrasound scans. A sonographer will perform your pregnancy scans and screening test for Down’s syndrome, Edwards’ syndrome and Patau’s syndromeYou may be offered scans at other times in your pregnancy.


If you have any concerns about special diets or eating healthily – for example, if you develop gestational diabetes – a dietitian can give you the advice you need.


Health visitors are trained staff who support families from pregnancy until your child is age 5. You may see your health visitor during pregnancy and in the first few weeks after birth. Your health visitor will continue to support you once you are no longer under maternity care.