Get Involved in Research
Participating in Current Studies
Health research needs people of all ages and backgrounds, from all over the country, to take part and help shape research. That way the results can benefit as many people as possible.
There are several ways for patients to get involved in clinical research. Taking part can be very rewarding and can involve;
- Taking part in activities that you may find helpful for your condition
- Understanding your condition better
- Helping researchers to develop new treatments and ways of working for the benefit of future generations
- Receiving new treatments that are not yet widely available. It is your decision whether you would like to take part in research, if you choose not to your care will not be affected in any way.
Sometimes you will be approached during your routine treatment by a member of the Research Team usually a nurse. Otherwise you can ask your clinician if there are any trials which you are eligible to participate in.
Please check the lists of current studies on our website and follow the links for more information.
Patient and Public Involvement and Engagement in Research (PPIE)
The National Institute for Health Research has a vision “for a population actively involved in and engaged with research to improve health and wellbeing for themselves, their families and communities”.
You can get involved in NIHR Research by
- Suggesting a research question
- Giving your opinion of potential research
- Joining one of the NIHR decision making committees
- Becoming a Research Champion.
Further information can be found here https://www.nihr.ac.uk/patients-carers-and-the-public/i-want-to-help-with-research/
Join Dementia Research
Join Dementia Research is a place to register your interest in supporting Dementia Research. Dementia affects more that 850,000 people in the UK and Research is the best way to make a difference.
There are over 48,000 volunteers registered and taking part in a study and 297 Research Sites have used the service.
Please follow this link to find out more and become part of vital dementia research https://www.joindementiaresearch.nihr.ac.uk/